Episode 1: Navigating Adoption During Covid-19
Apr 22, 2020
I never thought that I would be starting the Soulful Adoption Podcast with this topic. The whole world is dealing with COVID-19 today but not everyone is dealing with it like you are. If you are a mom-to-be going through the adoption process during this pandemic, please know that you are not alone.
I want to be able to support you through this time by offering you my own personal knowledge and psychological training through this podcast. We are going to talk about dealing with adoption during COVID-19. I hope that it helps you in some way to put you on the right track during this trying time.
Everything you are going through in the adoption process can be stressful, even more so during the COVID-19 pandemic. So give yourself time, conserve your energy, and try to lift your spirits up under these circumstances. Here are some tips I want to leave you with:
- [07:23] Embrace this time with your partner. Take this time to become closer, talk about your goals as becoming parents and bringing a new baby into your life. Enjoy this time together and do things that you want to do like decorating your new baby’s room, writing a poem, painting - whatever it is that will keep you busy and still connected to becoming a mom.
- [10:16] If you are getting ready to create your adoption profile, this would be a great time to look through pictures you want to include. Pick out the ones that you want to use in your adoption profile. It could be a nice thing to do and make you feel like in control during this turbulent time.
- [11:07] Self-care, not just during this time but all the time, is so important. Take this time to pamper yourself. You can certainly do this at home by doing simple things that make you happy such as taking a long bath, reading a book, getting extra sleep, cooking, watching Netflix, going for a walk. Believe me, you’ll be happy you did it. It will fuel your soul.
- [13:55] Sometimes self-care can be just as much about what you need to remove from your life as what you need to add to your life. Protect your energy and keep your energy in a good space.
- [14:20] If you can, decrease your news consumption. The more news we take in, the more it can lead to anxiety increasing. Read snippets and then move away because these can be addicting. You’re already dealing with the adoption process during a pandemic so you’ve got to protect your energy.
- [15:34] You’re allowed to have your feelings right now and you’re allowed to talk to other people about those feelings that are coming up.
- [16:01] You need to be connected with your adoption attorney or adoption agency and feel that you can express your concerns and get your questions answered.
- [17:05] Take care of yourself. Do what you need and want to do.