Episode 8 - Burnout
Sep 19, 2019
Before we start, I’m super excited to let you know that I am launching my first course called “Happy Momma = Happy Child.” It is designed to help all you moms take care of yourself so you can be the best possible mama! I would like to invite you to be a part of the beta launch of this life-changing course. I am giving out a huge discount - it’s the one and only time I’m offering it for half the price! If you are interested, get on my waitlist for it at [email protected] or on my website, mamashrink.com. As soon as the webinars are announced, you will be the first to know.
So, on to today’s episode I am going to discuss Burnout. I get so many questions about this topic. I have worked with many people in therapy over the years and one of the things I see a lot of is burnout. And it is often a sneaky thing that people don’t even know they are suffering from it. In my own life, I’ve experienced burnout. And trust me, It’s really difficult when it happens to you.
Burnout is very prevalent and I’m going to share with you how to recognize burnout and the things you can do to overcome it:
- [04:45] The people who are at highest risk for burnout are those who have high-achieving personalities, want people to like them, difficulty engaging in self-care, hardworking, have a difficult time relaxing, have type A personalities, and always wanting more and doing more.
- [07:08] Burnout can sneak up on you when you least expect it. As human beings we feel that we don’t have a maximum capacity and that’s not true. We all have a breaking point.
- [07:36] Some of the signs that you are experiencing burnout are: physical and emotional exhaustion, detachment, feeling ineffective and the inability to accomplish things.
- [18:01] Don’t fool yourself that burnout will just go away. It likely won’t. If you acknowledge and work through it, you will likely end up depressed, anxious, angry, and/or physically ill.
- [19:20] Here are the things we can do to combat burnout: start finding ways to replenish your lost resources, avoid getting further depleted, and find something soul nourishing, set boundaries, and start saying no. You need to make self-care your top priority.
- [20:52] Analyze your current situation. Record how you spend every hour of your time for one whole week. Write down what you are doing, who you are doing it with, and rate your activities every hour from 1 being depleting to 10 being happy. You’ll be amazed with what you see.
- [25:21] Decrease your job stressors, have an honest discussion with yourself or people you work with like your boss about it. If your job is causing you extreme burnout, ask yourself - is it worth it? What do you need to do to make yourself happier?
- [30:04] Don’t just overlook burnout, it is important to do something about it. If you are struggling to do this on your own, please seek out therapy to work on this.